Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Here it is! Fabric Scrap Rug

For at least a couple of weeks now I have been promising a new tutorial.  Well here it is, my version of a fabric scrap rug.  Several months ago I was at Target and noticed an adorable rug in a gal's cart.  It was fluffy and colorful and awesome.  So, I wandered into Target's home section and there was the rug, but it was around $40 (I can't remember the exact price but it was more than I was willing to spend!).  So, after thinking about this rug for the last couple of months I decided that I had to make one.  I really want to make one to go in our bedroom next to our bed.  Until we put in new carpeting we need a rug next to our bed because someone in our house (me) spilled soda on the rug and I cannot get it out, so instead I cover it.  I didn't want to jump right in to making a huge one for next to the bed (4'x5') so I decided to try a smaller version to put in our shop boutiquestylestudio.com.  So, after much ado, here it is!

I also have to tell you that this project takes awhile.  I would guesstimate that I spent about 10 hours working on it, but it did cost me only $20 and was fun to do!

Here is the supply list:

- 14 or so fabric quarters - I bought mine at JoAnn's when they were on sale so they only cost $17
- Latch hook rug canvas.  The cheapest I found was at Hobby Lobby, although I happened to have one     laying around
- Fleece for back or rug gripper pad
- Scissors
- Needle
- Thread

I decided to do a pink theme for my rug.
First, unfold the fabric quarters.

Next, fold in half and then half again.

I folded all of mine at once.


Cut strips along the short edge of the fabric.


You can either cut up the whole strip at once or do part now and part later depending on how itchy you are to get going on the project.  If you are not going to cut up all of the fabric at once I would recommend cutting up part of each color so you have a nice variety of fabrics in each section of the rug.

After you cut up the fabric you will have lots of little strings on you and a bunch of fabric strips.

I recommend leaving your fabric strips folded because it is much easier to cut.  Cut each strip into four even-ish pieces.  Each piece should be about 4-5 inches long. 

 Now, you will have even more little strings all over you and a big pile of fabric pieces. 


Now, you get to the fun part.  I started my rug randomly in the middle of my rug canvas.  Next time I will be a little more organized and will start at one corner.

Grab any fabric strip and fold in half.

Stick the folded part under a piece of the rug canvas.

Pull the piece of fabric up the other side.

Insert the two loose ends of the fabric piece through the loop on the other side.

Pull the two loose ends of fabric tight.  But not too tight or you may rip the rug canvas.





Congratulations!  You now have one done!  Only about one million more to go ( :

Like I said I was not very organized as I added my strips.  I kind of just added as many as I needed to make it feel "full."  But, next time I make one I am going to start in one corner and proceed in a grid pattern.  Below are some pictures of my disorganized method of adding strips.






I did not add a strip to each square because I wanted my strips to go as far as they could.  But I did make sure that the rug felt full.  Here is a picture in progress.


Once I added all of the strips I trimmed off the excess rug canvas (forgot to take a picture of that). My finished rug ended up being 18"x20"    

All strips added!



To finish off the edges I decided to add some fun, feathery yarn around the edges.

I looped the yarn around the outside of the edges to cover up the rug canvas.
 


After I was done adding all the strips and the yarn. I decided that I wasn't completely happy with how the back looked and the squishy-ness of the rug.




So, I  decided I needed a backing on the rug.  Initially I was going to use non slip rug backing, but then I decided that I wanted the rug to be all soft.  So, I decided to add some fleece to the back. 

I cut an 18"x20" piece of fleece.



Pinned it onto the back of the rug.


And sewed it on using matching thread.


 



 After I was done sewing on the fleece I was much happier with the softness and squisy-ness of the rug.





The next one I make will be a little different shape, probably longer and thinner, but I can definitely see this one in a little girls room, in front of the changing table or in front of a rocking chair. 











No comments:

Post a Comment