Friday, September 7, 2012

Bath Fizzy

Ok - here I go, my first ever tutorial!

If you are anything like me you love to relax, one of my favorite ways to relax is to pamper myself.  Now - I can't afford to go the spa and get a facial and a massage every week, I would love to but it's just not feasible.  So, I compromise by trying to take a bath once a week or so to decompress.  On a side note I also find it much easier to shave my legs while lying in the bath versus standing in the shower, but that is a whole different story. If I'm going to take a bath, I need some fun bath products, right?  After being a bath product junkie for several years I began wondering what was in those products that made my skin so soft.  I did a quick Google search and found tons of recipes for making your own bath products.  Well, being the type of person who loves to make things myself instead of buying them I had to try this for myself.  After trying a couple recipes for bath fizzy - I finally landed on a recipe of my own.  So, here it is!


You will need:



1 3/4 cups Baking Soda (softens the skin)
2 cups Cornstarch (also softens the skin)
1 cup Citric Acid (makes the fizz)
Spritzer Bottle (I got mine at the dollar store)
Food Coloring
Essential Oil
1 Large Bowl
1 Smaller Bowl
Pipette (I did not use one and regret it)
Sifter
Spoon

1.  Combine baking soda, cornstarch and citric acid in the large bowl.




2.  Scoop into sifter and run it through, this ensures that all of the ingredients are well mixed together.

3.  Put about 6 drops of food coloring into the spritzer bottle, add a tablespoon or so of water.

4.  Put about 1 cup of the dry mixture into the smaller bowl.  It is much easier to add the color to smaller amounts of the dry mixture.  The first time I did this I added color to all of it at once and it got a little clumpy.

5.  Spray 3 sprays of the water and food coloring mixture into the smaller bowl of the dry mixture.  Don't spray too much or all of your citric acid will react in the bowl and won't work in the tub.  Mix the product, this will help to disperse the color.  Spritz and mix 4 more times (more if you would like the color darker)

6.  Use a pipette to add the essential oil (I did not use one and I got some clumping which took awhile to get mixed back in).  Add as much or as little essential oil as you would like depending on how strong you want the scent.

7. Scoop the mixture into any container of your choice.

8.  Continue steps 4-7 until you have used up all of the dry ingredients.  Makes about 5 cups total.

Bonus - decorating your bath fizzy

I want to sell the bath fizzy in our shop so I decided that I needed to jazz mine up a bit.  Awhile back I got a ton of awesome Avery labels at Office Max (circles, ovals etc.).  I wasn't sure what I was going to use them for, but they were on clearance so I naturally had to get them because they were a good deal.  To get a template for these labels you have to go to Avery.com, their number is 22817 for your reference.  Avery Label Templates So, I made some cute labels for the top of the jars and ingredient lists for the bottom.


But, I still needed something more. So, I used the same Avery label doc to create "instructions" on how to use.  I printed this on card stock, punched them out with my big 2" circle punch, added a smaller hole to the side and tied on with strips of fabric. 


Ta Da!
This could be an awesome gift for any occasion, birthday, Christmas, bridal shower, baby shower or just for someone you know who could use a little relaxation.


No comments:

Post a Comment